A Persian Amsterdammer Blogs.

Tuesday 25 November 2008

Save an Afghani Student of Journalism

Remember a few blogposts ago I asked your attention about jailed journalists, bloggers and students? Well, it's time to undertake some action grassroots-style. Let's start off by mailing the Ambassador or Consul of whatever country you're in. As I am a Dutch citizen I will mail the Afghan Consul of the Netherlands.

This is the mail I'm writing them. If you don't want to write a whole new e-mail just copy and edit mine.

--

Dear Consul,

It is very sad to hear that in a country liberated from the Taliban people are still jailed for expressing views, and particularly in an academic environment. Ofcourse I am referring to the case of Sayed Perwiz Kambakhsh, the student who was first sentenced to death and now to 20 years in prison for spreading articles in his university.

The current regime of Afghanistan has asked and received the help of the international community to defeat the Taliban and start a democratisation process. The treatment of mr. Kambakhsh undermines Afghanistan's relations with all the democratic countries supporting it at the moment.

I myself was born in Iran and fled the country because of its barbaric treatment of its citizens. As a citizen of the Netherlands I am appaled that my fellow country men are fighting and dying in Afghanistan to root out the Taliban and rebuild the country, when at the same time the government that they support decided to support religious extremism over human rights in the case of mr. Kambakhsh.

I hope you will give this matter your attention and endeavor to free mr. Kambakhsh.

Kind regards,

Sahand Sahebdivani
Artist / Journalist
Amsterdam

---

The mail address I sent it to is the following: afconsulholland2@gmail.com

If you're on facebook please also join the following group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7560684603

Spread the word!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote to the Afghan consul in regards to the jailing of Sayed Perwiz Kambakhsh. I encourage everyone to do the same. Democracy cannot just be a word. Oppression and tyranny can only exist in darkness. It cringes and fades when brought into the light for all oppressors are truly cowards and petty fools. Please take a moment to let the tyrants know that we are watching.

Sahand Sahebdivani said...

Thanks for the insightful words, I hope it encourages others to do the same.